Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Just your friendly neighborhood picnicker

I have a moment that instantly has to go into my top 5 funniest.

I can't even explain why we* found this hilarious, but I'll do my best.

We were picknicking at a little place called Twin Lakes park on Saturday. Big blanket, sunshine, lots of food including fresh bread, cheese, berries, and of course, potato salad (required by law).

For me, half of the fun of picknicking is the whole shopping to go on a picnic; so we got to do that together at a wonderful Italian place nearby. Despite purchasing 14 different cheeses during a busy afternoon, we were not ritually slaughtered by those waiting in line or by the very nice lady cutting and wrapping our selections for us.

Twin Lakes is funny in and of itself because people fish there. Pretty place, but we were the only picnic people in the park. We got two kinds of looks from the fisherpeople there.

1. From the fishermen to me: Hatred. "Do you know how long it took me to brainwash my wife that fishing is fun? You bastard!"

2. From the long-suffering fisherwomen to Kylie: A mix of longing and pity. "You look so happy. I remember when it was like that for me. Here's a pole and a can of worms. It's easier not fight it."

So we picnicked. Beautiful day and as any good picnic goes, we alternately ate, talked, laughed and generally hung out for nearly six hours. I don't think a picnic can be called a success until you reach the four hour mark, myself.

The funny happened right around the four-hour mark.

At this point Kylie had been laying with her head in my lap and just staring at the sky when we started kissing upside down. Terribly romantic. Seriously.

And my mouth opens deep in the middle of one of those kisses that kind of takes your breath away and I whispered, "You saved my life twice and I don't even know your name."

It was completely spontaneous, I didn't even think the words first. They came out without me even realizing that I was saying them.

Somehow, given the extreme romanticism of the moment, the comment completely spun the emotional center into utter hilarity. You must try this at home. She thought it was funnier than I did (that = keeper).

Anyway. Best to all. Just a funny moment with a beautiful girl.

spiderman_kiss2

"You saved my life twice and I don't even know your name. Can you pass the potato salad?"

----------------------------------------------------

*Thank goodness. It's so nice not laughing at myself all by myself, anymore.

2 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

spiderman was gay

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger JulieGong said...

Although I am completly happy for you I'm worried that you are becoming a softy in love. I'm not sure I can handle all love doveyness.

And Anonymous... Toby McGuire = GAY, Spiderman = NOT GAY

 

Post a Comment

<< Home