Sunday, May 07, 2006

Buddhism and Pierogies (or hello again, nice body you've picked up for this life)

So, I wanted to sit down and be funny today but I just had the most fascinating conversation for the last 1 1/2 hours with Kylie, who comes into this life with a surety and worldview that has me slightly whirlwinded, to borrow a term from someone who doesn't know it but has perhaps the funniest, most authentic piece of Fayette County memorabilia I've ever seen coming to her if she can ever figure out how to use a phone.

Kylie, a Buddhist, is convinced she knows me from another life, several lives in fact. What makes this so strange is that she does seem to know me in an inexplicable way. It's a way that is beyond comfortable in the sense that she seems to know exactly who I am and more importantly, who I am in regards to her life.

This would be less aggravating normally because I am also very good at reading people and getting a sense of what they are thinking of me, but unfortunately my emotional center recently got sent back to shop for repairs after a sort of psychological car wreck with sex.

So now, I am in a kind of limbo state* where I can't even trust (or even have, really) any real sense of who she is when it comes to why we're talking and spending time together. I can't even figure out if I'm attracted to her and if that would be the right thing to be feeling.

It's as if she already knows my story and life and role in hers. I guess I could ask her, but I think I'll wait until next weekend when we actually spend some time together outside of our respective jobs in order to figure it out.

I guess I feel like I'm at a distinct disadvantage with this one. When you think of the roles we play in each other's lives, the options are endless. She could turn out to be a friend, lover, teacher, student, soulmate, savior, passing acquaintance, adversary, partner, guide, just about anything. But she already seems to know what I am and for the first time in my life, I'm flying blind. Strange.

But to talk to someone who is utterly convinced they knew you already and before is fascinating. She said she knew me from my laugh, way of saying things and my hands.

Outside of the whole "No idea what everybody's feeling here, including me," thing, I've been remarkably comfortable in talking to her, very much able to tell her anything and say anything especially when it comes to me being me and telling stupid, funny, rambling tangential stories that very often have no point, whatsoever. So I do I hope, at the very least, I have found a new/old friend.

So now, I sit here and try to remember someone I've only just met. There is one way I will know exactly who she is and what part she will play in my life. I've had a mental image of a moment that has never happened yet. I've had it for as long as I can remember. Maybe she'll put a face to that moment. I'll know then.**


------------------------------------------------


*That would be completely shut down so you don't get hurt mode (of course, it only kicks in after the fact. Thanks, stupid brain.) I tend to be pretty emotionally open in relationships. My hobbies also include letting people kick me in the nuts and dentistry without novacaine.

**It was my turn to be a little mystical. And if it does happen, I'll let you know what it was. What a fun night. To use my brain, have a stimulating conversation, talk books, life and laugh.

There are simple things that make life good. These are some of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home